Jump to navigation
Here's some quick facts about evaluating and selecting the right cat food for your kitty that will mitigate, or eliminate feline urinary tract infections:
- Meat should always be the first ingredient. Pure meat, not meat by-products!
- DL-Methionine is an essential amino acid that helps prevent the formation of struvite crystals that causes feline UTI. Be sure this is a listed ingredient.
- The magnesium levels should be no more 0.025% maximum for any serving.
- Cranberries and blueberries are good additional ingredients for maintaining your cat's urine pH balance at approximately 6.5.
- Avoid cat food that lists any type of carbohydrates as primary ingredients. Cats are carnivores!
- The higher the protein and moisture content, the better the food is for your kitty.